Oolong tea is fragrant with a fruity flavor and a tasty aroma. It is very low in caffeine and extremely relaxing to drink. The health benefits of oolong tea are doubled because of the combined qualities of black tea and green tea. Oolong tea falls between green and black teas, as its leaves are only partially oxidized. It is a semi-green fermented tea. But, the fermentation process is halted as soon as the tea leaves start to change their color. Oolong tea ranges from 10% to 70% oxidation.
Oolong tea is nature’s gift that is rich in anti-oxidants. It also contains vital minerals and vitamins such as calcium, manganese, copper, carotin, selenium, and potassium, Vitamin A, B, C, E and K. in addition to folic acids, niacin amide and other detoxifying alkaloids. Developed in semi-fermented processing, the oolong tea is rich in numerous polyphenolic compounds, adding value health benefits of oolong tea.
Some of these benefits are:
- Controls Obesity: The polyphenol compound found in oolong tea is very effective in controlling the fat metabolism of the body. It activates certain enzymes and thus enhances the functions of the fat cells in human body. Oolong tea burns over 157% more fat than Green Tea - and therefore becoming the most popular teas designed to accelerate weigh loss. Drinking two cups of Oolong tea every day not only helps shed stubborn pounds by boosting your metabolism, but also blocks the fattening effects of carbohydrates.
- Removal of Harmful Free Radicals: The polyphenolic compound is also responsible for removal of free radicals in our body, thus saving us from potential harm that these free moving cells may pose to the human body. It also strengthens the immune system.
- Treatment of Skin Disorders: According to scientific experiments, patients diagnosed with eczema skin disorder can benefit from drinking 3 cups of oolong tea 3 times in a day. The beneficial results of oolong tea could be seen in less than a week with these patients showing remarkable skin improvement. It also clarifies the skin, giving it a healthy, radiant glow.
- Promoting Good Bone Structure: The antioxidants present in oolong tea protect the tooth against decay, strengthens the bone structure and boosts normal healthy growth of human body. Promotes good dental health.
- Treatment of Diabetes: Oolong tea is used as an herbal brew for treating type 2 diabetic disorders.
- Protection against Cancer: It is well-known fact that tea drinkers have lower risk of acquiring skin cancer. Moreover, oolong tea's compound, polyphenol, promotes apoptosis in stomach related cancerous growth. This polyphenol extract also acts a chemo-preventive instrument against development of other cancerous forms.